Trump Orders Pentagon to Reduce Joint Military Exercises With South Korea
The Facts
- Trump said on Sunday he instructed Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth to "substantially reduce" joint military exercises with South Korea.
- Trump wrote on Truth Social that the exercises send a "totally inappropriate and hostile" signal to North Korea.
- Trump cited his "very good relationship" with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un as the basis for the decision.
- Trump also said South Korea declined his request to join U.S. efforts to "denuclearize" Iran.
- The annual Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise began Monday in South Korea and is scheduled to run through August 27.
- About 18,000 South Korean troops were expected to take part in the exercise alongside U.S. forces.
- This year's drills incorporate training to counter drones, GPS disruption and cyberattacks.
- South Korea's defense ministry said the exercises would proceed as previously notified and scheduled.
- Military officials in both countries said North Korea is gaining battlefield experience from deploying troops in support of Russia's war in Ukraine.
- Trump said it was too late to cancel the exercises entirely because they had already begun.
- North Korea conducted ballistic missile tests earlier in August, before Trump's announcement.
Context
What is Ulchi Freedom Shield?
It is one of two major annual military exercises held jointly by South Korea and the United States, designed to prepare for a possible attack by North Korea Guardian,NDTV. This year's edition began Monday and runs to August 27, involving roughly 18,000 South Korean troops plus U.S. forces and personnel from 11 of the 18 member states of the United Nations Command, the multinational body overseeing the 1953 Korean War armistice Guardian,Guardian. Officials said the drills would include training against drones, GPS jamming and cyberattacks tagesschau.de,Reuters.
Why did Trump bring up Iran?
In the same Truth Social post, Trump said he had recently asked South Korea's president whether Seoul would join the United States in the "Denuclearization of the Islamic Republic of Iran," and that the answer was "No thanks!" NYT,BBC,Hindustan Times. Some sources identified the leader he asked as President Lee Jae-myung as.
How have other governments and political actors responded?
Seoul said it was reviewing Trump's statement and expressed hope that good U.S.–Pyongyang relations could lead to substantive talks BBC. China's foreign ministry spokesman Lin Jian called for a "political solution" on the Korean Peninsula infobae. In South Korea, the leader of the conservative opposition People Power Party, Jang Dong-hyeok, called the reduction a "diplomatic disaster" caused by the Lee Jae-myung government infobae. Pyongyang had not publicly commented BBC.
Where Left and Right agree, and where they split
- Where Left and Right agree
- A personal rapport with Kim, invoked alongside a grievance about Seoul declining the Iran request, is not a legitimate basis for cutting the drills — neither framing accepts it.
- Where Left and Right split
- Whether the story is about restraint toward Pyongyang wasted for lack of a diplomatic strategy, or about an ally's contribution given away without anything demanded in return.
How left and right read it
Scaling back the drills is the right instinct, because rehearsing war on the peninsula — 18,000 South Korean troops, drone and cyber training, an exercise timed to run on schedule regardless — has never been a substitute for talking to Pyongyang. But the reasoning here is the problem: a personal rapport with Kim, invoked alongside a grievance about Iran, is not diplomacy. Warm words about an unthreatening North Korea are not a policy. Restraint needs a strategy behind it.
“Despite these escalations, Mr. Trump, in a social media post, characterized North Korea as "unthreatening and respectful" while boasting of his "very good relationship" with Mr. Kim.” — The New York Times
An alliance runs on obligations honored, not on personal rapport — so any reduction on our side ought to buy something. Yet the stated basis is a very good relationship with Kim, offered alongside a complaint that Seoul declined the Iran request, while the thing trimmed is the ally's own contribution: 18,000 South Korean troops training against drones, GPS disruption and cyberattacks, drills Seoul is running as scheduled anyway. What did we get?
“The US will substantially reduce its joint military exercises with South Korea, one of its strongest security allies in Asia, Donald Trump has announced.” — The Telegraph
The receipts — all 94 sources
Wire services (2)
Independent coverage (50)
Facts first. Then every angle.
The day’s biggest stories in one short brief — the facts everyone agrees on, then the competing values behind the headlines. Free in your inbox.