Skip to content
ReframedNewsLeft · Right · Centered
Today's StoriesArchiveAboutSign in
Today’s Stories›Business & Markets

RWE to Give Up US Offshore Wind Leases in $1.22 Billion Settlement With Interior Department

First covered Thursday, August 6, 2026Business & MarketsWell-covered

The Facts

  • RWE's U.S. offshore subsidiary agreed to a $1.22 billion settlement with the U.S. Department of the Interior, relinquishing three offshore wind leases off New York, California and Louisiana and waiving claims against the government.
  • RWE said it determined there was "no path forward to permit these projects in the U.S. for the foreseeable future."
  • The agreement is the fifth deal the Trump administration has reached this year with energy companies to end offshore wind projects, bringing the total spent on such settlements to roughly $4 billion.
  • RWE said it will redirect the funds into U.S. gas projects, including about $900 million toward a liquefied natural gas export terminal in Louisiana and about $300 million for turbines for 15 gas-fired peaking plants.
  • The surrendered leases had been projected to support roughly seven gigawatts of generating capacity, described as enough for more than 5 million homes; RWE now holds no remaining U.S. offshore wind leases.
  • RWE said it had already invested more than $1 billion in developing the U.S. offshore wind projects, having acquired the leases in 2022 during the Biden administration.
  • The Trump administration has halted federal permitting for offshore wind and has sought to block wind projects, including some previously approved, while promoting fossil fuel production.
  • President Trump has been a longstanding critic of wind power, calling offshore wind costly and, according to Euronews, an "economic and environmental disaster."

Context

Why is the government paying a company to cancel projects it already leased?

RWE bought the offshore leases from the federal government in 2022, when the Biden administration was promoting offshore wind, and says it invested more than $1 billion developing them Frankfurter Allgeme…,Deutsche Welle,Hill. After the current administration stopped federal permitting for offshore wind, RWE concluded the projects could not be permitted for the foreseeable future, and the settlement resolves the company's claims against the government in exchange for a payment NYT,tagesschau.de,Euronews English.

Who is affected beyond RWE and the federal government?

The leases would have supplied about seven gigawatts of power, an amount several outlets described as enough for more than 5 million homes Hindustan Times,Independent,U.S. News & World R…. In California, state officials and environmental advocates say the exit of another developer threatens the state's 2045 offshore wind goals and puts jobs and investment at risk Los Angeles Times. The money RWE receives is instead being channeled into gas infrastructure, including an LNG export terminal in Louisiana BBC,T-online.de.

How does the administration justify the payments?

Interior officials framed the buybacks in terms of energy policy, saying "Americans deserve an energy system built on common sense, not one dependent on costly subsidies or technologies that can't meet our country's current demand" Investing.com. The administration has said it wants to discourage expansion of wind energy in favor of fossil fuels, and Trump has said his goal is not to let any "windmills" be built U.S. News & World R….

Where Left and Right agree, and where they split

Where Left and Right agree
Public money is being spent to undo leases the government itself granted — $1.22 billion to RWE, roughly $4 billion across five deals — and both reads treat that as a loss, not a win.
Where Left and Right split
Left and right both call the $1.22 billion a loss — they split on what was actually lost.

How left and right read it

Left says

Seven gigawatts of offshore wind — power for more than five million homes — has now been bought out of existence, with $1.22 billion in public money going to RWE to surrender leases off New York, California and Louisiana. It is the fifth such deal this year. Public funds are financing the destruction of clean capacity and its conversion into gas terminals and peaking plants; the demand is simple — stop paying to foreclose the energy future households will have to live in.

“This latest deal takes it to almost $4bn of taxpayer money spent on killing offshore wind projects.” — The Guardian↗

Right says

Interior paid RWE's U.S. offshore subsidiary $1.22 billion to relinquish three leases off New York, California and Louisiana and waive its claims against the government — the fifth such buyout this year, roughly $4 billion in all. The leases were acquired in 2022; public money now unwinds them. Taxpayers are financing a reversal. Federal energy commitments that can only be undone at public expense are a fiscal liability the day they are signed.

This isn't a fight about wind versus gas — it's about who eats the bill when Washington reverses its own promises.

See this differently than someone you know would?

The receipts — all 100 sources

Wire services (1)

Reutersonvista.deRWE gibt Milliarden-Pachtverträge für US-Windparks zurück

Independent coverage (50)

YahooUS strikes $1.2bn deal with German firm to halt offshore win...
BBCUS to pay $1.2bn to energy firm RWE to halt offshore wind pr...
BBCUS to pay $1.2bn to energy firm RWE to halt offshore wind pr...
Seattle Daily Journal of CommerceBuybacks of offshore wind leases now total $4B
Deutsche WelleGermany news: Exports and factory data lift economic outlook
DIE WELTTrump-Regierung zahlt RWE eine Milliarde Euro für Stopp von ...
tagesschau.deFür Windkraft-Stopp: Trump-Regierung zahlt RWE 1,2 Milliarde...
Heute.atTrump zahlt RWE Milliarden gegen die Windkraft | Heute.at
No2NuclearPowerUS - Offshore Wind
Wirtschafts WocheRWE stoppt US-Offshore-Windkraft - Trump-Deal für 1,22 Milli...
stock-world.deRWE: 1,22-Milliarden-Dollar-Vergleich mit US-Regierung
CashRWE gibt Milliarden-Pachtverträge für US-Windparks zurück
La Opinión DigitalRWE y Trump acuerdan cancelar proyectos eólicos marinos por ...
N-tvUSA zahlen Milliardensumme: RWE erzielt Deal mit Trump und s...
dpa InternationalGermany's RWE drops US offshore wind projects in deal with T...
Splash247Federal settlement drives RWE out of US offshore wind
www.Bluewin.chDeal with Trump, an opponent of wind power: RWE halts offsho...
La HoraTrump acuerda pagar USD 1,220 millones por cancelar tres gra...
News.deDonald Trump: Deal mit Windkraftgegner Trump: RWE stoppt Off...
Main-SpitzeDeal mit Windkraftgegner Trump: RWE stoppt Offshore-Projekte
Rhein-Neckar-ZeitungWindkraft in den USA: Deal mit Windkraftgegner Trump: RWE st...
Der TagesspiegelWindkraft in den USA: Deal mit Windkraftgegner Trump: RWE st...
Freie PresseDeal mit Windkraftgegner Trump: RWE stoppt Offshore-Projekte
FrankenpostWindkraft in den USA: Deal mit Windkraftgegner Trump - RWE s...
Trierischer Volksfreund. Die Zeitung für die Region Trier/MoselWindkraft in den USA: Deal mit Windkraftgegner Trump: RWE st...
mz.deDeal mit Windkraftgegner Trump: RWE stoppt Offshore-Projekte
Canal 44Trump acuerda pagar 1.220 millones por cancelar tres grandes...
San Diego Union-TribuneAnother offshore wind project in California blows away
Yahoo! FinanceTrump Admin Spending Nearly $4 Billion to Kill Wind Energy P...
CleanTechnicaDonald Trump Pays Off 5th Energy Company in Attack on Renewa...
Yahoo!Trump acuerda pagar 1.220 millones por cancelar tres grandes...
T-online.deMilliarden-Windparkverträge: RWE einigt sich mit Trump-Regie...
T-online.deVon Trump: RWE bekommt Milliarden für Stopp von Windkraftpro...
San Jose Mercury News'Gift to the fossil fuel industry': RWE ends Northern Califo...
International Business Times UKTrump Administration's Offshore Wind Buyback Nears $4 Billio...
RP OnlineUS-Energiepolitik: Trump-Regierung zahlt RWE 1,2 Milliarden ...
ElectrekAnother day, another illegal billion-dollar bribe to raise y...
NewserEnergy Giant Collects $1.2B From US to Drop Wind Projects
Prensa LibreTrump acuerda pagar US$1.220 millones para cancelar tres pro...
Maritime ExecutiveTrump Administration to Pay RWE $1.22B in Fifth Deal to End ...
nine.com.auLive Updates: Trump spends $4 billion to stop offshore wind ...
HotAirThe Back and Forth Continues on the Wind Front
DNyuzAnother offshore wind developer exits California in $1.22-bi...
The IndependentTrump administration reaches $1.2B deal with offshore wind c...
Los Angeles TimesAnother offshore wind developer exits California in $1.22-bi...
Yahoo! FinanceAnother offshore wind developer exits California in $1.22-bi...
Bloomberg BusinessTrump Refunds $4 Billion to Cancel US Offshore Wind Projects
news.bloomberglaw.comTrump Refunds $4 Billion to Cancel US Offshore Wind Projects
Investing.comRWE reaches $1.22bn deal with US to cancel wind leases By In...
Euronews EnglishWashington to pay €1.06 billion to cancel RWE offshore wind ...

Facts first. Then every angle.

The day’s biggest stories in one short brief — the facts everyone agrees on, then the competing values behind the headlines. Free in your inbox.

← Earlier in this briefing
Iran's Chief Negotiator Accuses Trump of 'Theater Diplomacy' as Hormuz Shipping ...
Iran's parliament speaker and chief negotiator Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf accused President Donald Trump of "theater...
International Affairs
Next in this briefing →
WSJ: New US Intelligence Reports Say Putin Could Attempt a Limited Attack on a N...
The Wall Street Journal reported on Aug. 7 that new U.S. intelligence assessments conclude Russian President Vladimir...
International Affairs

Continue Reading

More in Business & Markets

SpaceX and Tesla Confirm $16.8 Billion First Phase of 'Terafab' Chip Complex in Grimes County, Texas

SpaceX and Tesla said on Thursday they will initially invest $16.8 billion to build Terafab, a vertically integrated AI...

Business & Markets
Related this week

Iranian Army Chief Announces $30,000 Reward for Killing or Capturing US Soldiers

Iran's army commander-in-chief, Major General Amir Hatami, announced on Sunday a reward equivalent to $30,000, or 5...

International Affairs
From today's briefing

Trump Signs Two Executive Orders Narrowing Birthright Citizenship and Targeting 'Birth Tourism'

President Donald Trump signed two executive orders on Thursday, Aug. 6, that expand the categories of children the...

Rights & Justice
Back to all stories

Facts first. Then every angle.

The day’s biggest stories in one short brief — the facts everyone agrees on, then the competing values behind the headlines. Free in your inbox.

ReframedNews

Facts first. Then left and right.

Consensus facts with cited sources, then how the left and the right each read every top story.

Navigate

Today’s StoriesArchiveSettings

Company

AboutSkylark CreationsSign InTerms of ServicePrivacy Policy

© 2026 Reframed.News

Made by Skylark Creations