US Formally Requests Extradition of Filipino Pastor Apollo Quiboloy on Sex Trafficking and Fraud Charges
The Facts
- The Philippine Department of Foreign Affairs confirmed it received the US government's request for Apollo Quiboloy's extradition and endorsed it to the Department of Justice in Manila.
- Philippine Ambassador to Washington Jose Manuel Romualdez said the formal request was transmitted to the Department of Justice, and officials said it was sent in July.
- Quiboloy, founder of the Kingdom of Jesus Christ church and a self-described "Appointed Son of God," was an ally and adviser of former President Rodrigo Duterte.
- A US grand jury indicted Quiboloy in November 2021 in California on counts including conspiracy to engage in sex trafficking by force, fraud and coercion, sex trafficking of children, and fraud-related offenses; he has been on the FBI's most wanted list since then.
- Quiboloy was arrested in the Philippines in 2024, pleaded not guilty, and has been detained in a Manila jail since; he faces life imprisonment if convicted in the domestic trafficking case, which alleges he used women and child church members to sell goods and raise funds.
- The extradition request requires approval from two Philippine courts that are currently trying Quiboloy on human trafficking and child abuse charges, according to two Philippine officials who spoke on condition of anonymity.
- Quiboloy has denied wrongdoing; his lawyer Ferdinand Topacio said extradition is "extremely unfeasible" while criminal cases against him are being tried in the Philippines, and another of his lawyers said the defense had not yet received notice of the request.
- The extradition effort was first disclosed publicly in August 2025, but the Philippine Department of Justice said on Thursday it had not officially received documents confirming a formal request.
- Romualdez said that if the extradition is approved, US Marshals would likely take custody of Quiboloy and fly him to the jurisdiction where the alleged crimes occurred, possibly Los Angeles.
- A co-defendant in the US case, 77-year-old Los Angeles paralegal Maria De Leon, was sentenced on August 4 to time served after pleading guilty to a conspiracy count in an immigration fraud scheme involving church members.
Context
What happens next in the extradition process?
The Department of Foreign Affairs has endorsed the request to the Department of Justice, which must petition a court to open extradition proceedings Malay Mail,GMA Network. Two Philippine courts currently trying Quiboloy would need to approve the transfer Al Jazeera Online,U.S. News & World R…. His lawyer argues that requests are typically denied while domestic criminal trials are ongoing, with authorities waiting for the local case to conclude or a sentence to be served GMA Network.
What is Quiboloy accused of in the United States?
A superseding indictment unsealed in November 2021 in California named Quiboloy and eight other defendants, with charges including conspiracy, child sex trafficking, sex trafficking by force, fraud and coercion, marriage fraud, money laundering, cash smuggling and visa fraud GULF NEWS. US prosecutors allege girls and women were coerced into sex with Quiboloy GMA Network, and that young victims were threatened with "eternal damnation" and physical abuse Reuters.
What charges does he face in the Philippines?
Quiboloy is facing a non-bailable qualified human trafficking charge under Republic Act No. 9208 before a Pasig court, and charges under Republic Act 7610, the law on child abuse, exploitation and discrimination, with separate child sexual abuse cases in Quezon City GMA Network,Rappler. He pleaded not guilty and faces life in prison if convicted in the trafficking case Straits Times,CNA.
Where Left and Right agree, and where they split
- Where Left and Right agree
- The trafficking and child-abuse allegations against Quiboloy are grave enough to demand a full accounting, and both framings treat his church members as the people owed it.
- Where Left and Right split
- Whether the story is about spiritual authority turned into unpaid child labor finally facing a reckoning, or about a sovereign judiciary's claim to try the man it arrested first.
How left and right read it
The Philippine foreign ministry has received and endorsed the US extradition request for Apollo Quiboloy, indicted in California on sex trafficking of children and fraud counts. The domestic case alleges he used women and child church members to sell goods and raise funds — the classic shape of spiritual authority converted into unpaid labor. A man who called himself God's appointed son also advised a president. Which court finally answers to those members?
“Quiboloy, the 76-year-old leader of the Kingdom of Jesus Christ church, once a powerful spiritual adviser and "political kingmaker" in the Philippines, is known for his extraordinary claims, including assertions that he is "the appointed son of God."” — The Independent
Two Philippine courts must approve any transfer, and those same courts are already trying Quiboloy on human trafficking and child abuse charges that carry life imprisonment. The November 2021 California indictment is serious, but a sovereign judiciary owns the man it arrested in 2024 and has held since. Manila's justice department says it still hasn't officially received the documents. Process, in order, is not an obstacle to justice — it is the thing itself.
The receipts — all 67 sources
Wire services (9)
Independent coverage (50)
Facts first. Then every angle.
The day’s biggest stories in one short brief — the facts everyone agrees on, then the competing values behind the headlines. Free in your inbox.